As your skin ages you need to provide daily hydration and protection from harmful free radicals. Starting to protect your skin in your twenties is ideal but by 40 a regular anti aging skin care program is essential if you want younger looking skin in your 50’s and beyond.
And if you think all moisturizers are more or less the same – think again. That may have been true in the past but things have changed.
If you just want to increase the level of moisture in your skin and nothing more then go for a long lasting hydrating cream so your skin is plumped up and moist all day.
If you want to achieve more than just plump out wrinkles through hydration then you need to consider a product with higher levels of active ingredients to help fight the worst effects of aging – not just wrinkles, but also uneven skin tone, loss of volume and radiance. Not surprisingly these products tend to cost more.
Pick the best moisturizer
Start with some basics – the very best face moisturizers should offer:
- Skin hydration throughout the day without heaviness or greasiness
- A great makeup base – no clogging or sliding
- Intensified anti aging effects – a high level of antioxidants, retinol or peptides to protect your skin from free radical damage .
For products with expert formulations and a high level of active anti aging ingredients – dermatologist recommended skin care brands should be your first choice. Skin care brands headed by dermatologists tend to concentrate on delivering the latest active ingredients at levels that cheaper or mass produced brands can’t afford.
So – here’s my personal selection – reviewed and updated for 2012 – of five great age-fighting moisturizers to consider:
1. SkinMedica Dermal Repair Cream – SkinMedica make wonderful dermatologist grade skin care with quality ingredients in advanced delivery systems. Skin Medica’s creams are frequently recommended by doctors in skin clinics. This cream is a luxurious silky moisturizer which rejuvenates skin and provides antioxidant protection based on high levels of Vitamins C, E and A in a unique formulation. Soothes and repairs sun damaged skin working on age spots and uneven skin tone and even improves vertical pucker lines around the mouth. Essential fatty acids help the skin to repair and rehydrate. It can be used day and night and a little goes a long way. Good reviews from lots of satisfied customers.
2. MD Forte Facial Cream III – A lovely cream that softens and refines skin without oily residue – great for sensitive, mature and dehydrated skin and works effectively on hyperpigmentation, wrinkles and acne scars. There are three levels depending on the amount of glycolic compound – from 15% in the Level I cream to the top level of 30% at Level III. Despite that the cream is gentle in action and luxurious in texture. Users are very loyal and keep returning to buy this cream if they stray. Good buy.
3. Skinceuticals Daily Moisture – Skinceuticals are renowned for their highly advanced skin care and this cream comes in normal/dry or normal/oily versions. A beautiful cream to wear containing extremely high levels of pure vitamin E and marine extracts for anti aging protection. Both versions are best sellers with very positive reviews on most skin care sites. This version is normal to oily and is a lightweight cream that doesn’t overload the oily T-zone area if that is your problem. Amazon also carry the normal/dry version.
4. Kinerase Cream – Kinerase is a best selling pharmaceutical strength skin care line based on Kinetin – a key active anti aging ingredient with the same anti wrinkle effectiveness as Retinol A. Kinetin is derived from a natural active extracted from blue anemone flowers that stop the flowers withering. A little pricier than some of the other creams but will last a long time. Highly recommended and heavily discounted on Amazon especially the larger (2.8 oz) size. Fans of the Kinerase range include Jennifer Anniston.
5. Murad Hydro Dynamic Ultimate Moisture – Definitely one of the best moisturizers around. You can always depend on Murad products to deliver results because they are based on solid research and extensive testing and this is one of his top products. Long lasting moisturization in an ultra concentrated non-greasy formula. Natural fruit oils and shea butter provide high levels of hydration in a lovely silky soft feeling cream. A unique collagen support complex boosts resilience and smooths away fine lines and wrinkles. Fantastic product with great reviews from many happy users. Use a light hand – a little goes a long way!
If you want luxurious hydration and added anti wrinkle effects then any of the products featured in this review should do a good job. My personal favorite of all the great creams listed here is Murad Hydro Dynamic Ultimate Moisture and the MD Forte Facial Cream III is also a good buy.
Whatever you go for – you can be sure that money spent on a good aging moisturizer is an investment in your skin you’ll never regret.