Stuffed full of highly active ingredients and formulated to be ultra moisturizing, these products are not cheap. But don’t we all deserve a little luxury in our lives even in these cash tight times?
You might hesitate over the cost of a small pot of face cream but bear in mind that you only need apply a little of the best creams – too much and it will probably rub off on your pillow.
Used sparingly as directed and you should get lasting results over quite a long period – probably around six months or so of twice daily use. But what to go for? The choice is bewildering and it’s generally better to start with a personal recommendation.
Problem is – ask ten women what they recommend – quite likely you’ll get ten different suggestions. We all have unique skin and different needs from an anti aging face cream – in the end you need to go for what suits you and your budget.
Start with some broad principles – know your skin type and think about whether you want an all round cream that you can use both morning and evening or whether to go for two for day and night time use.
The main difference is the formulation – day time anti aging creams tend to be a little lighter to go on under makeup and can often contain sunscreens. But don’t forget if you buy two – whilst you pay more upfront they last twice as long!
To get you started here’s my personal best anti aging cream list (updated for 2012):
1. Estee Lauder ReNutriv Cream – I hesitated about including this one again on my list for 2012 as it is so well known and loved but it is a classic anti aging cream for use morning and night. Ritzy packaging and a very high spec of active ingredients that include: creatine to tone and lift (the same substance bodybuilders use to sculpt their abs!), resveratrol and green tea – both hot new ingredients for combatting skin aging. Resveratrol is derived from red wine and has a powerful antioxidant effect.
The Estee Lauder online site is high on the glossy marketing hype but low on real information about the product. Reviews are consistently positive reporting significant improvement in wrinkles on face and neck. Many users comment on the glow the cream gives to the complexion. Expensive but discounted slightly on Amazon with a special trial offer size which is definitely worth going for if you’ve never used it before. Be warned – you may find you like it so better be prepared to bear the cost before you sample! Estee Lauder ReNutriv is An oldie but goldie – reformulated and improved many times and still going strong.
2. Skinceuticals Renew Overnight – A skin-refining night cream at an affordable price from this dermatogist backed advanced skin care range. Contains 10% hydroxy acid blend to gently exfoliate the skin plus extracts of aloe, chamomile, evening primrose oil, and comfrey to hydrate and calm the skin.
Continuous use definitely shows in a more radiant complexion and a reduction in lines, wrinkles, and other signs of aging. Choose normal to dry or normal to oily – both versions have good reviews. Excellent buy at the price but you will need another anti aging or hydrating cream for the day.
3. Dr Brandt Time Arrest Creme de Luxe - Another highly active anti aging cream from a physician grade brand of skin care. The cream is based on an intense polypeptides complex plus natural actives like grape stem cells to add radiance and long lasting hydration. Silipearls give the cream a wonderful silk like feel and lock the moisture in. Use day and night.
Again – because of the expensive high active ingredients – it’s not a budget option but Dr Brandt’s products have a wonderful reputation.
4. ReVive Moisturizing Renewal Cream – This is on my bathroom shelf at the moment and it is one of the best anti aging creams I have used currently discounted on Amazon. Formulated by Dr Bays Brown – leading US cosmetic surgeon turned anti aging skin care expert – this is an intensely rich but ultra light night cream that speeds up the rate of cell renewal through Epidermal Growth Factor (EGF) and a glycolic acid base. Skin tingles on application and is more refined, tight and glowing in the morning. I now use the new intense (super) version of the cream with added moisturization – although it is more expensive. You have to partner with a day cream but use this every night and it will last 12 months. Another option is to use a different night cream on alternate nights to make it last even longer.
5. Murad Hydro Dynamic Ultimate Moisture – An all-in-one anti aging cream formulated to repair, nourish and protect. This is a gorgeous silky textured but non-greasy cream from one of the best names in skin care. Rich fruit oils deliver long lasting hydration and active ingredients include a retinol and collagen support complex. Skin is polished and soft all day and you can use it as your night cream too. Affordable, lovely to use and very effective. Will come up high on anyone’s best face cream list. This is also on my shelf as a partner to the ReVive cream and a great daily moisturizer.
So which one of these great products is my choice for best anti aging face cream? It is a difficult decision but I would have to go with either the Murad Hydro Dynamic Ultimate Moisture or the ReVive Moisturizing Renewal Cream . The Murad product probably wins overall because it is an all round anti aging cream for both day and night at a reasonable price.
In the end – it all comes down to what suits your personal preference, skin type and budget.