You might spend a fortune on the best hair care products in the world – but are you eating the right things for healthy hair?
Hair responds to what you eat in just the same way as your skin and all of your body. And many of us just aren’t getting enough of what we need to keep our hair looking its absolute best.
Did you know that hair loss in women (at least the non genetic sort) is much worse for those who are deficient in iron and those who have low levels of the B group of vitamins?
Not surprising then that the B group vitamins figure so much in over the counter hair loss products like supplements to promote hair growth and condition.
Even worse than low vitamin B levels – nine out of ten women aged 16-50 and a one in three of us over 50 are deficient in iron.
Surprisingly these figures are much worse nowadays than for our mothers.
The reason? So many of us now prefer not to eat red meat and we haven’t replaced meat with other iron rich foods like fresh green leafy vegetables.
We can hardly complain about dull, thinning hair if we’re just not giving it the food it needs for tip top condition.
So – here’s a quick healthy hair checklist to guide you round the supermarket:
Eat lots of:
- Fresh vegetables – high colored and green leafy
- non-citrus fruits;
- live natural yoghurt
- cold pressed oils like olive oil, flax seed or sesame
- soy protein in the form of tofu, soya milk or soya yoghurts
- legumes (peas, beans and lentils)
- whole grains especially brown rice, oats and buckwheat)
- seeds (sunflower, pumpkin, sesame and linseeds)
- almonds, figs and dates
- fresh oily fish like salmon, tuna, herring, pilchards and sardines
- lots of pure still water to aid your digestive system and eliminate toxins – a sluggish digestion leads to limp, dull or oily hair
- green tea – full of antioxidants for thick, glossy hair
Cut down on:
- dairy (cow’s milk) products
- caffeine (coffee, tea, chocolate, soda drinks)
The good news is if you change your eating habits and include more of the right kinds of food – you’ll boost your body’s whole immune system and give yourself loads more energy in the process. As a bonus you can help make your hair grow faster and stronger than it normally would.
Energy, vitality and healthy hair – what could be more youthful?